across the south of England, we are united in our dedication to protecting children
WHO WE ARE
Making a difference for those who need it most in local communities
In April 2009, Spotlight started to provide free and low-cost activities for young people in Basingstoke, helping them increase confidence and self-esteem. It wasn’t long before the vision grew and founder Michaela could look to expand.
In addition to fun activities for young people, we also provide emotional and practical support where needed – a crucial aspect of supporting mentally healthy youngsters.
Thanks to a small army of volunteers, local business support and a growing need, we have continued to expand and now work across the following areas:
- Basingstoke and Deane
- West Berkshire
- Hart and Rushmoor
- East Hampshire
- Test Valley
- New Forest
We believe everyone should have a chance to fulfil their potential
Regardless of your race, religion, ability, family status or financial background, every child should be treated equally.
- Each child should have chances that will allow them to flourish mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Each child should have opportunities to develop their confidence, self-esteem and social interaction.
- Each child should have access to fun activities regardless of their household income
- Each child should know that there are people to turn to and that they have support to guide them through life’s challenges
As part of our work, we provide a range of inclusive activities, including after school clubs, youth clubs, performing arts activities, arts & craft, sports, outdoor activities and trips. We also provide emotional and practical support for people in need.
Welcome to Spotlight UK
Our Mission and Objectives of Spotlight UK
We work towards our objectives in every programme we run, hoping to make the world a better place and support those who need it most.
We seek to relieve the needs of children and young people, their families and carers, who are suffering from a life-limiting condition or mental or physical disability by providing equipment, activities, and respite to advance their quality and condition of life.
How we do this:
- Providing events, socials, free activities and treats for young people who have a parent or sibling with a disability or life-limiting condition.
- Run inclusive activities
- Support anxious young people with our body positive campaign
- Send care packages for those struggling with their mental health
To provide recreational and leisure time activities in the interests of social welfare for people who need because of their youth, age, infirmity or disability, poverty or social and economic circumstances to improve such persons' conditions of life.
Additionally, to promote social inclusion for the public benefit by preventing people from becoming socially excluded, relieving the needs of those people who are socially excluded and assisting them to integrate into society.
For this clause, ‘socially excluded’ means being excluded from society, or parts of society, as a result of one or more of the following factors:
- Financial hardship
- Youth or old age
- Ill health (physical or mental)
- Discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, disability, ethnic origin, religion, belief, creed, sexual orientation or gender reassignment
- Poor educational or skills attainment
- Relationship and family breakdown
- Poor housing (that is, housing that does not meet basic habitable standards
- By providing emotional and practical support and advice, activities and befriending activities.
To relieve financial hardship by providing such persons with equipment and food parcels that they could not otherwise afford through lack of means.
How we do this:
- Donations of items such as clothes, beds, toys
- Christmas Toy Appeal
- Birthday toys for those who cannot afford them
Meet The Team
Our work wouldn’t be possible without our excellent team, combining our staff and generous volunteers we are able to work with those across various areas to give opportunities, support and hope to those in need.
Find out more about our team below.